9th Edition of the Mozambique Mining and Energy Conference and Exhibition (MMEC) held on April 26th and 27th, 2023, at the Joaquim Chissano International Conference Centre in Maputo. The event was a resounding success, bringing together over 520 high-level industry experts and professionals from over 20+ countries, 50+ speakers, 25+ sponsors and partners, and 35+ exhibitors.
Under the distinguished patronage of His Excellency Filipe Jacinto Nyusi, President of the Republic of Mozambique, MMEC 2023 was a testament to Mozambique’s vast potential in the natural resources sector. The event proved to be a platform for industry leaders, stakeholders, sponsors, partners, exhibitors, and participants from diverse countries to discuss critical issues and innovations aimed at creating a sustainable and thriving energy sector in Mozambique.
The discussions revolved around policy implementation and harmonization, investment opportunities in the energy sector, and the urgent need for green energy projects to mitigate the impact of climate change and the energy crisis.
MMEC 2023 was an exciting and innovative gathering, featuring keynote addresses, project showcase sessions, and advanced project structuring delivery panels. The conference provided attendees with access to project delivery fundamentals, best practices, and advanced project structuring delivery panels. The exhibition hall showcased cutting-edge technologies, products, and services aimed at transforming the mining and energy industries.
The conference’s high-level speakers included:
– Honorable Carlos J. Zacarias, Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy of the Republic of Mozambique;
– Dr Eneas Comiche, President Maputo Municipal Council;
– Hon. Ibrahim Matola, Minister of Energy, Malawi;
– Hon. Monica Chang’anamuno, Minister of Mining, Malawi;
– Hon. Magna Mudyiwa, Deputy Minister of Energy and Power Development, Zimbabwe
– Hon. Eng. Mohamed Hamel, Secretary General, Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF)
– Ovidio Rodolfo, Vice President and Mozambique Country Manager, Sasol – Sanjeev Gupta, CEO, Vulcan Mozambique
– Sandisiwe Ncemane, Acting Group CEO, The Petroleum, Oil and Gas Corporation South Africa
– Motlokwe Sebake, General Manager for Commercial and Customer Affairs, Republic of Mozambique Pipeline Investments Company (ROMPCO)
– Arne Gibbs, Lead Country Manager for Mozambique, ExxonMobil
– Giorgio Vicini, Managing Director, Eni Rovuma Basin
– Moussa Konate, Managing Director, Vivo Energy Mozambique
– Laila Chilemba, Vice President of Socio-Economic Development, TotalEnergies
They shared insights on regional collaborative efforts and best practices that would benefit the industry leaders. The event’s record-breaking success was due to the fruitful discussions, innovative ideas, and advanced technologies showcased. It was a testament to Mozambique’s immense potential in the mining and energy sectors and its commitment to sustainable economic development.
“This conference was extremely important for the energy, mining and hydrocarbon sector as it managed to bring together raw material processors (in the mining sector), energy transformers (through transforming companies such as Globelec and others), service providers and oil companies.
The 2023 edition proved to be different and unique as the greater participation of countries from the Southern African region, such as Malawi, Zimbabwe, RSA and others, was notable. We also saw through the audience that the investing countries were on a smaller scale, which shows that the Austral region is concerned with finding suppliers and energy providers in the region without this creating disruption in the concept of the energy transition, that is, sustainable clean energy and payable at a cost that reaches all social strata, achieving what is called the Energy Trilema – energy equity, security and energy sustainability.”
“The MMEC 2023 was a well-organized and very high-level event, with several decision makers attending and available to network. The panel discussions and the seniority of the speakers allowed for valuable understanding and insights to the Energy and Mining sector, offering perspective for how these industries will shape the Country and the region in the next decade!”
“Talking about MMEC 2023 is talking about a great asset for the process of catalyzing the industry in Mozambique, this year we had the presence of great African leaders linked to the sector, so it was a magical moment where we could have the opportunity to hear the experiences of specialists in the sector, and to assess the stage of the energy transition process and the contribution of national and international partner companies in the development of the country.